Skipping out on accessories is like ordering a hot fudge sundae with out the whipped cream – not okay! Professional stylists use accessories not only as a finishing touch, but as a way to complete an entire ensemble and make the best dressed list.
Here’s the top 5 ways stylists use accessories to up the ante:
|Sprouting Floral Necklace – Charming Charlie|
- Focus. If you opt to wear a statement piece, ensure that nothing else competes for attention. Wearing a bold candy-colored bib necklace? Skip the earrings and balance it out with danty stackable rings. Trying out a body chain under your crop top? Avoid adding any other necklaces and complement the look with classic earring studs. Remember to balance out a large bold item with delicate pieces and stick to one statement-making accessory at a time.
|6 pack rings – H&M|
2. Coordinate. Not a fan of bulky jewelry? Try utilizing layers of delicate pieces for an on-trend impact. Layer slinky gold necklaces, dress up your fingers in stackable rings, try one large bangle together with several delicate gold bracelets. Add interest by mixing and matching metals.
3. Experiment with headwear. Don’t miss out on the potential of adding a little bling in your hair! Try a thin jeweled headband to keep your hair in place, embrace the menswear look and pop on an eye-catching fedora, add oomph to your updo with a girly sparkly comb. Feeling extra exotic? Weave a woven floral scarf into your braid.
|Art Deco Comb – Etsy|
4. Balance your bag. When collecting handbags – don’t stick to just one style. Build your assortment with an ever-reliable shopper, add an effortless crossbody, keep a fancy clutch on standby, and don’t underestimate the power of a mini-tote. Balance the bag sizes with your outfit occasion. Pair your cute crossbody with an airy sundress for weekend errands. Incorporate a mini-tote in a bright pop of color with your weekday business attire. Get mileage out of that super-cute clutch and use it for your bestfriend’s wedding, drinks out with the girls, or Friday night dinner with your bae.
|Kelly & Katie Jenna Crossbody Bag – DSW|
|Kelly & Katie Nadia Sandal – DSW|
5. All about footwear! A proper stylist knows how to execute the perfect what to wear now outfit with the right footwear. Keep in mind colors, heel heights, formality, and function when selecting the right shoes for the right outfit. Keep mid-heeled pumps and pointed-toe flats for your office looks. For the weekend juxtapose casual ankle boots with a breezy maxi-dress or skinny denim. Night out? Try the ultra-trendy ankle-strap heel in a nude patent (the best color for elongating your legs).
Professional accessorizing is all about balance, playing with proportions, keeping in mind functionality, and adding interest to keep a look fresh and on-trend. Never miss an opportunity to experiment with accessories and create an on-point look that is fierce and uniquely you.